This is a guest article by Ross, Marketing Manager for Billy’s Savings Club. Join the discussion and voice your opinion by following our guest blogging guidelines.
If you want a successful blog, you have to do all the things you’ve heard about, but you also have to do it differently. It’s kinda hard to understand but even though there are certain thematic elements that run through, becoming a super blog is about doing things right – but different. Working with these tips to differentiate yourself is a good start to do just that.
1. Post video content. Video is so so underutilized in blogging. A lot of it has to do with fear, but the reality is nobody cares what you look like, and nobody will judge. But if you talk about something you care about, do it frequently and present it differently (through video) – you can create a blog people love. But you have to have NO FEAR!
2. Find guest posting opportunities using the “Label: Guest Post” query. If you use this on Google you’ll find people that have that exact tag in the footer of their blogs – you’ll get a huge amount of results! Use this to find many, many opportunities to guest post and grow your blog beyond the standard resources.
3. Optimize your “submit a guest post” page. Create a guest post page so people can guest post on your site – but make sure to optimize it so people can find it through search – this will connect you to them and also their audience if they can find you. It may seem a little unnatural, but it’s worth it – create a URL like “best-blog-to-guest-post-on” or “blogs-to-guest-post-on” with a title tag that’s the reverse.. like “Best Blog to Guest Post on – MYBLOG.com”. This will help people find either search – and also link to it a few times using anchor text people search with in your own sites – it’ll do wonders!
4. Reveal a deep secret/insecurity about yourself, and pull it back into your blog. This does WONDERS for blog traffic. People will feel connected to you, and empathize with how you let them in to your lives. Don’t do it too much, but do it every so often and people will love you for it. It might be scary but the results will be amazing, really – the reactions you’ll get should blow you away. Success in blogging in general requires no fear – this is no different.
5. When you promote your content on Twitter, use “Please Retweet”. Statistics have shown that including “Please Retweet” increases the number of tweets you get, upping your promotion and the traffic as well. Don’t use it all the time, but use it – it will increase the traffic you get to your blog.
6. Care. It seems crazy that one word could account for something few other people are doing, but it’s true. You should be able to go to a person’s blog and feel the passion dripping from their words – I dare you to do this. Look! It’s not out there! There’s a bunch of blogs by people who aren’t caring about what they write – if you choose, and truly have passion, you will stand out from the crowd.