Twitter Etiquette | Do you have any?48 COMMENTS
Are you doing your bit at Twitter, or you don’t have any twitter manners?.
Twitter Etiquette is a very subjective term, it may have different interpretations by different tweeple. So i asked my twitter followers at my facebook fan page, that what according to them is Twitter Etiquette. The response was really good and i would like to summarize the discussion to you in this post.
Good Habits to inculcate:
- Always bring something to the party (good content). Share something unique and interesting. Something which you think will be liked by others and would be worth getting retweets.
- Always respect others and tweet others like the way you want to be tweeted.
- Be polite, humble, generous & gracious – same as you should be in your life. Be yourself!. This will make you stand out from the crowd.
- It’s good etiquette to thank someone for a RT or RTs. You can thank them through @replies or DMs. Which media is better is quite debatable.
- Introduce yourself (good avatar, crisp bio, and say “hello” and “thank you” to others). If you don’t have an Avatar, you might be considered a spammer or a person who tweets infrequently.
- Don’t follow then unfollow people just to get your follower number up.. its the quality not the quantity that matters.
- Be a good listener, Check links before tweeting them. Make sure the tweet is worth sharing and then only retweet the tweet.
- When you tweet a dead link, fix it, send it again and delete the tweet with the bad link.Also if possible let your followers know that the previous link was tweeted by mistake.
- Avoid the Auto-DM Fail – Don’t use Auto DMs. Auto DM’s are extremely annoying and you may get unfollowed to this sole reason. It is better to DM people personally to introduce yourself.
- It’s not polite to twit-fight. Arguing your point is one thing, but fighting is different, just unfollow and be on your way. Don’t make it a place to attack on other people. Focus on the good things.
- Share your thoughts and ideas – and engage others about theirs. After it is not just about sharing links right?. Answer @replies and DMs, this will make sure, that your followers know that you are not a bot.
- Help whenever you can. Help others and you might see your reputation among followers shoot up.
- Don’t just tweet about your products/websites/organization, tweet other stuff too.
- Don’t post at very quick intervals (like 10-15 tweets per minute or so). It can be very annoying for your readers. A possible way to remove the problem is by scheduling tweets at a regular interval of time.
- Don’t just copy tweets, it is a form of plagiarism, always mention the person who tweeted it originally.
The question is still open to discussion. What according to you is Twitter Etiquette? Do you agree with the habits listed out?